Beaver Island Transfer Station and Recycle Center offers residents, non-residents and commercial customers a safe, clean and environmentally friendly location to dispose of all solid waste and recyclables. The Beaver Island Transfer Station and Recycle Center is jointly operated by Peaine and St. James Townships. It is located on East Side Drive approximately a quarter mile east of Kings Highway.
Customer Safety during Covid-19: In adherence to Governor Grethen Whitmer's statewide mask mandate, the Beaver Island Transfer Station and Recycle Center requires all self-haul customers visiting the station to wear masks/face coverings to protect the public health of customers and employees, and to reduce the spread of COVID-19. Customers who do not wear masks or face coverings will not be allowed to dispose of their waste or recycling at the Beaver Island Transfer Station and Recycle Center.
Hours of Operation
- May - October Monday through Saturday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Closed: Sundays and Holidays
- November - April Monday through Saturday, 11a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Closed Sundays and Holidays
- Holidays: Good Friday, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years
- After hours special hoppers available for disposal of Green Bags only.
- NO after hours recycling available
Disposal of Garbage, Recyclables & Green Bags
The Townships of Peaine and St. James utilize a pay-per-bag program for resident self-haulers only. The townships provide no garbage pickup services. Residents and visitors bring their household garbage and recyclables to the joint township-operated transfer and recycling center.
Green Garbage Bags
All household garbage must be placed in a Green Beaver Island Garbage Bag
Garbage NOT placed in Green Bags, a surcharge of up to $5 applies
- Fees for garbage disposal are included in the price of the Green BI Garbage Bag
- Green BI Garbage Bags are to be used for household garbage only
- Green BI Garbage Bags costs: Large Bag, $4.00 (50 gallon) & Medium Bag $2.50 (30 gallon)
- Green BI Garbage Bags are available for purchase from local stores:
Where to Buy Green BI Garbage Bags
In Peaine Township: Island Energies & BI Transfer Station and Recycle Center
In St. James Township: Mc Donough’s Market & Power’s Do it Best Hardware
All recyclables should be transported separately and placed in the appropriate areas at the Transfer Station.
Recyclables such as aluminum, corrugated cardboard, mixed paper, cans, glass bottles, plastics, and scrap metal are accepted at no cost to residents or non-residents.
View of list of recyclables on the Services page.
Additional information about disposal of Construction & Demolition materials, household hazardous waste, metal, yard and electronic waste and other household and bulk items, as well as fees and tipping charges are available by visiting the Prices page or by calling or visiting the Transfer Station.
Household Hazardous Waste Disposal
Please call the Transfer Station for special collection dates: 448-2228